The Student News Site of Chisholm Trail High School

The Ranger Record

The Ranger Record

The Ranger Record

Varsity girls end season with stronger connections

Bailey Read
‘AND THE ROCKETS RED GLARE’ As they stand for the national anthem, the Lady Rangers varsity soccer team surround the pitch at Ranger Stadium on Tuesday, Feb. 13.

Before-game dinners are the best part of the season for sophomore Madelyn Sturgill. Yes, being in sync on the field fuels the varsity girls’ soccer team fire during the games, but they create the kindling through the time outside of practice which makes their connection in practice stronger.

“Something I look forward to doing in practice is hanging out with my teammates,” Sturgill said. “Even though there is a game, we find ways to connect, and it also keeps our team motivated.”

Like Sturgill, teammate junior goalkeeper Andrea Morel said the team grows to be close friends with each other because of the hours they spend with each other.

“I look forward to seeing my teammates,’’ Morel said. ‘’I do not make many friends outside of soccer, but through soccer, I talk to people, and I am able to connect with my team.”

Throughout the season, Sturgill said the last few games amped up the team with their excitement.

“We just get a rush of adrenaline to keep the other team from scoring, and just be able to hold everything in best to our abilities,” Sturgill said. “Teamwork is definitely what helps us not lose because we’ve tied in a lot of our games. Having all the defenders work together works out well for the team.”

Whether she gets to play at the next level or not, Sturgill said she looks forward to her next chapter once it comes.

“I would love to continue playing soccer if I can,” Sturgill said. “I’m not sure if I am good enough, but I definitely would want to if possible.”

Sturgill believes teamwork is what motivates her and the team the most during their games.

“I think teamwork is definitely what helps us not lose because we’ve tied in a lot of our games,” Sturgill said. “Having all the defenders work together works out well for the team.”